The big day is here – Closing Day! In the midst of this exciting day there are some things to remember to do. We compiled a short list of some of the most common moving tips for home sellers.
Here is a list of moving tips for sellers.
- Give your forwarding address to the post office, usually two to four weeks ahead of the move
- Notify your credit card companies, magazine subscriptions, and your bank of the change of address
- Develop a list of friends, relatives, and business colleagues who need to be notified of the move
- Arrange to have utilities disconnected at your old home and connected at your new one
- Cancel the newspaper delivery
- Check insurance coverage for moved items. Usually movers only cover what they pack
- Clean out appliances and prepare them for moving, if applicable
- Note the weight of the goods you’ll have moved, since long distance moves are usually billed according to weight. Watch for movers that use excessive padding to add weight
- Check with your condo (if applicable) about restrictions on using the elevator or particular exits
- Have a “first open” box with the things you’ll need most – toilet paper, soap, trash bags, scissors, hammer, screwdrivers, pencils and paper, cups and plates, water, snacks and toothpaste
Plus, if you’re moving out of town
- Get copies of medical and dental records and prescriptions for your family and your pets
- Get copies of children’s school records for transfer
- Ask friends for introductions to anyone they know in your new neighborhood
- Consider special car needs for pets when traveling
- Let a friend or relative know your route
- Carry travelers checks or an ATM card fro ready cash until you can open a new bank account
- Empty your safety deposit box
- Put plants in boxes with holes for air circulation if you’re moving in cold weather
Download A Printable Flyer of These Helpful Tips
For more helpful tips when selling your home, be sure to visit our Sellers Resource Page
Homes We Have SOLD!
We Would Be Happy To Add Yours To The Map!