Written By: Kelly Provost – The Pro’s Real Estate Team – 508-232-7926
Fun things to do in Rutland MA!
If you are looking to spend some time in our town and want to know some things to do, then check out this great list. From dining to swimming and everything in between. Rutland MA offers a variety of things to keep everyone entertained
- Hiking, walking, running and Biking down the Mass Central Rail Trail. The Wachusett Greenway. http://masscentralrailtrail.org/images/2014_5_Wachusett_Greenways_section.pdf
- Spend some time Geocaching on or off the Rail Trails. We take our children all around looking for the cool little caches all around town. Its interesting to see where everyone comes from and the kids have a blast finding the little trinkets
- Heifer International is great place to visit. See what’s happening for events and festivals and farmers Markets. http://www.heifer.org/what-you-can-do/experience-heifer/heifer-farm/events.html
- Holiday Parades and the Independence Day celebration and Strawberry festival.
- Check out the tree that Marks the geographical center of the State.
- Learn to Ride a horse at http://www.holidayacresequestriancenter.com/about/
- Go Swimming at Whitehall Pond In Rutland State park – Whitehall Pond offers a swimming beach with free parking in Rutland State Park. Public restrooms are located nearby. Plenty of trout for fishing across the way.
- Fishing at Long Pond, Whitehall Pond, or Demond Pond
- Eat at one of the many local Restaurants- We highly recommend Heavy Evie’s Diner in the town center for breakfast, Grab some ice cream on the deck at the Four Corners on 122, Have dinner at Ladd’s Restaurant also located on route 122, grab a drink and some appetizers over at the Tavern on the Common, or if you feel like take out Rutland House of Pizza On Maple or Toula’s on Route 122A are two great choices.
For the kids: if you are a local resident you can consider the Boys Scouts of America and Cub Scout pack 306 or 141. Treasure valley is located on the border of Rutland and Paxton town lines. OR the Local Girls Scouts.
- Rutland Recreation offers many fun and entertaining activities for children throughout the year also. Check out their website: http://www.townofrutland.org/Pages/RutlandMA_Recreation/index
- Rutland’s Historical Society host some events for kids and adults alike- check out their website for updates and hours http://www.rutlandhistoricalsociety.org/
- Get some reading in at the Rutland Town Library. They also host events that are fun and educational for all. Check out their events page for details: http://www.rutlandlibrary.org/
- Do some craft or antique shopping at local stores like The Village Barn. http://villagebarnfurniture.com/
- Visit Schultz Country Store and Barnside Cafe http://www.schultzcountrystoreandbarnsidecafe.com/
- OR just swing by one of the many local farm stands for some fresh eggs or produce any time of year
- You can even find yourself a Christmas tree in December at the Christmas Tree Farm on Glenwood Rd.
- Get some last minute shopping items at Rutland Marketplace. You can find coffee, baked goods, ice cream, deli food, seafood, and beer & wine http://rutlandmarketplace.com/
All in all for a small country town Rutland, MA can holds its own in activities and events for people of all ages. But if you have ”been there done that” don’t fret, check out one of Rutland’s Abutting towns for more fun things to do close by:
Princeton, MA Home to Mount Wachusett
Hubbardston, MA Home to the Rietta Flea Market
Holden, MA Home to the Wachusett Reservoir
Paxton, MA Home to Moore State Park
Oakham, MA – Head Out to the Quabbin Region!
If you come to visit and can’t bear to leave- Just Call the Pro’s to find property for Sale in Rutland, MA
What’s for sale in Rutland MA?