Shrewsbury to Natick – Upcoming Changes to Route 9
So I am sure by now, most of you are aware that the old Spag’s department store in Shrewsbury is being torn down to make room for a huge mixed-use project that that will be called Lakeway Commons and is going to bring stores like Whole Foods and Tile Works along with Restaurants like Starbucks, Burtons Grill and Tavern in the Square. This project will also consist of 250 apartments and 13 townhouses in the area.
Anthony “Spag” Borgatti, opened the store in 1934 during the Great Depression. He started this small business and turned it into a multi million-dollar business before it was sold in 2002 to Building 19. Building 19 closed it officially in 2013.
Check out this older commercial of Spag’s
In addition to this huge change, we have been reading of some other significant projects that will be taking place in the near future up and down RT9 from Shrewsbury all the way to Natick
Related Article: How to buy a home – The Process
Some of the future developments are:
- The former Rotary Club driving range in Westborough is being turned into a CarMax.
- The Tin Alley Grill in Framingham was recently torn down for a new Wendy’s.
- Another Wegmans is proposed for the former JCPenney store in the Natick Mall. The mall property is also home to the 215-unit Nouvelle condominium complex.
- Northborough Crossing will be adding a Margaritas Mexican Restaurant, Applebee’s, MOOYAH Burger and Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza, among other stores and medical businesses.
- At the Framingham-Natick town line, the Golden Triangle will be adding a King’s bowling alley, a separate eat-in restaurant and an iFLY indoor skydiving facility. The skydiving facility will be located on what is now a parking lot on Flutie Pass across from the AMC Theatre
- Recently, a Hooters restaurant opened in the former Chili’s at Fairlawn Plaza.
- Sam Adams, the owner of the mostly empty Fairlawn plaza, plans to renovate the parking lot and landscaping. He’s also looking to create a mixed-use redevelopment at the former Chelmsford Ginger Ale bottling facility / Spag’s Warehouse property, a nearly 30-acre site, to be called The Grove. He said it will be built in phases and include shops, upscale restaurants, a state-of-the-art fitness center, and entertainment venues, including a multiplex theater.
- The president of Capital Group Properties in Southborough, Bill Depietri, said he is currently negotiating with a company to open a 20,000-square-foot restaurant with bowling lanes.
Interested in some new homes that will be available?
Westborough Woods Apartments will consist of 249 apartments over approx 20 acres near the Target on the Northborough line. This developement project will be built under the state’s Chapter 40B housing regulations, which requires the developer to build 25 percent of the apartments as affordable living under state income guidelines.
The Capital Group is looking to get a permit in Southborough for a Chapter 40B project as well. This project is to build 180 apartments behind the Red Roof Inn and an additional office building. A 40B project includes units considered affordable for working-class families. The plan also includes 140 condos, being built outside of the 40B restrictions. With additional permitting, they may be able to build a 150-bed assisted living facility and a 125-room hotel
With all these changes coming, there will be an increase in jobs as well as an increase of people moving to the area. If you have been considering selling your home in the Shrewsbury – Natick area, now is the time to start getting ready.
If you are considering moving to the area to take advantage of all the great upcoming opportunities, here are some homes that are currently for sale. Make sure to bookmark this as these homes will change daily.
Shrewsbury Homes For Sale
Northborough Homes For Sale
Westborough Homes For Sale
Southborough Homes For Sale
Framingham Homes For Sale
Natick Homes For Sales
Some information in this article was originally obtained from Wicked Local Northborough.